I wish I could say this bread came about by culinary forethought, but really–it came from me being greedy.
Tuesday was my day off, and I from the moment I woke up I knew what I wanted to eat for breakfast: a stick-to-your-ribs breakfast loaf. I wanted something toaster-worthy; I wanted something that would soak up an obscene amount of butter. Nothing else would do.
So here’s what I made in haste: Zucchini Carrot Breakfast Loaf–a love-child of zucchini bread and carrot cake, with a little spice thrown in for good measure.
How was it? Delicious and exquisite. This bread is Starbucks-y. It can only be accompanied with a mug of hot coffee and a newspaper. A true “weekend” bread–no doubt about it.
For the adventurous, this recipe could be made even more stellar by adding some chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans) and some dried fruit (raisins…especially those golden ones). It can be made in a traditional loaf pan or two mini-loaf pans. It’s up to you.
Zucchini Carrot Breakfast Loaf
- 2 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon stevia (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon*)
- 1 teaspoon valencia orange stevia (or 1 teaspoon orange peel*)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla stevia (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract*)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 1/4 cup grated zucchini
*If substituting for stevia, add about 1/4 cup of your favorite sweetener instead.
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, flax meal, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg until mixed well.
3. In a medium bowl, whip the eggs, grapeseed oil, and stevia.
4. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry until thouroughly mixed.
5. Add the grated carrot and zucchini (The batter will be thick, that’s OK! Give it a couple minutes.)
6. Pour into a well greased loaf pan (or two).
7. Bake on the lowest rack of the oven for 40 minutes or until the bread is springy to the touch and toothpick comes out clean.
8. Let it cool (try to, at least) then have at it!